Community Housing Limited Group of Companies (CHL) is an innovative and best practice affordable housing organisation which assists access to, develops and manages sustainable housing for people in need. The CHL Group operates in a highly regulated not-for-profit housing space in Australia and overseas.
The exciting development and growth of our organisation has created the unique opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic individual to join CHL . You will provide a "hands on" approach to delivering timely and high-quality legal advice for commercial and business legal matters for the CHL. This is a senior professional role.
- Provide high-quality, practical and timely legal advice to key business stakeholders, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal documents
- Manage, negotiate and advise on all contractual issues including corporate structures, property, finance and government contracts
- Advise on the cost/benefit of various legal issues and providing realistic advice and solutions for more favourable outcomes
- Represent CHL in legal proceedings and mediations
- Undertake investigations into matters that may have legal implications on the business, including legislative changes, identifying and managing legal risks, and making recommendations
- Provide support and legal advice to CHL’s international operations (Chile, India, PNG, Indonesia, Peru, Timor Leste and Rwanda) in conjunction with external legal counsel where appropriate.
- Support key stakeholders in managing legal risk and compliance, including monitoring changes in all relevant areas of law
- Develop and review policies and practices to ensure that CHL is compliant with all legal and statutory requirements in all jurisdictions, including working with key stakeholders to educate awareness of legal issues within CHL
- Provide advice and support to the Board and Group Company Secretary on legal and governance matters
What will success look like?
You will be enthusiastic representing CHL in its endeavors and experience in structuring and negotiating project and property finance transactions including loan agreements, security arrangements, acquisition contracts. In addition, you will have a tertiary qualification in law with a current practicing certificate, together with a minimum of five plus years post admission experience. You will also have:
- A positive and resilient approach, including a passion for continuous improvement
- Meticulous attention to detail and a thorough methodical approach to delivering outcomes
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work in partnership with a range of stakeholders
- Strong and effective negotiation and decision-making skills
- The ability to work independently as part of a wider team and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- A commitment to the right of all people to affordable and sustainable housing
Highly desirable experience would also include:
- Sound understanding of commercial, risk and contractual issues at all stages of construction/ infrastructure project life cycles
- Familiarity with Company Secretarial and Corporate Governance
In return we offer a competitive salary, access to training and development and a range of other excellent benefits. For more information about working with the CHL Group please visit our website https://chl.org.au/careers/working-at-chl/benefits-of-working-at-chl/.
CHL actively promotes safe working with children, a satisfactory police check is required for all staff and those with client related responsibilities are required to provide a working with children check.
As an equal opportunity employer, CHL works closely with people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
CHL acknowledges the traditional Aboriginal owners of country throughout Australia and we pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and emerging
Applications close: Monday 25 January 2021
To be considered applicants must respond to the application questions, submit a cover letter and resume. Please address the Technical Skills, Experience & Qualifications section of the Position Description in your cover letter.
For a confidential conversation about the position please call Vlad Steinberg Group Company Secretary on (03) 9856 0019.
We look forward to hearing from you.